Monday, June 12, 2006

Envelope Art



At Scrap Artist last week, the altered art challenge was envelopes. How could I resist? I am a long time altered artist, long before the art form had that name, I was doing it as Mail Art and before that as a kid, I was just totally incapable of mailing a naked envelope.

I did three envelopes and keep having ideas for more, but I'll move to the next challenge along with the group. This week it's tags. I've never done a tag, so we'll see what happens. The Imagination envelope is called DaVinci Meets Einstein, as the quote is Albert's and there is a definite DaVinci inspiration going on here.

The envelope to the above is called Mystery Mail. I've wanted to do something arty with a Ouija board for a while, and this is what came out. I think my favorite part is the letters floating in the background and the first line of the address...Whispers in your heart...makes me feel like there are spirit whisperings that maybe I'll hear one day.

The theme was envelopes and I did an ATC on the theme too. These are all real Civil War images that I "borrowed" from Civil War antiquities sites. Ever since I first heard it on Ken Burn's Civil War for PBS, I carry the Sullivan Ballou letter in my heart and it keeps popping into my art, as it did here, inspiring this piece. Not an altered envelope, but envelopes just the same.

It's been a pretty stressful week for me, lots of difficult family things happening that are out of my control at this point. I'm going to have to deal with the issues soon and it's not going to be easy. I read a book once about Vincent Van Gogh by Irving Wallace. One of the themes, heck maybe it was even spelled out in the book!, is remembered by me as " out of pain, beauty". I always find when something is very difficult in my life, my creative side explodes! I guess that's happening this week too.

Want to see more of my art?


, , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your envelope art - beauty merging with functionality. :) Thanks for sharing.