Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Personal Archeology Meme


1. Do you have a picture of yourself as an infant, toddler or youngster in your own scrapbook, picture album or shoebox? If so, how old were you? What where you doing?

Here's my Grandma Opal and me. It looks like a three candles on the cake. She would have had to be visiting us in CT from her home in NE. I recognize the background as Navy housing.

2. What is the oldest piece of clothing you have in your closet. What is it? Do you wear it or just keep it for sentimental purposes, or because you haven’t had time to give it away yet?

The oldest clothing I have stashed is more accessory than clothing. It's my Girl Scout badge sash, hat and patrol cords. I was a superscout. I'll never have anyone to give it to but I just can't bear to part with it. It represents the best of my childhood.

3. Do you have any souvenirs? If so, what is the oldest one, where is it from and how did you come to have it?

How can you not have souvenirs? Can't even imagine that. I have a couple of high schoolnotes that my 2 best girlfriends and I use to pass each other. We had made up names, in case we ever got caught. I was Cassandra. They were Josette and Junie.

4. Do you have an appliance, utensil, dish, glass, platter, etc., or cooking implement in the kitchen that you got from a relative when you moved away from home? What is it and who gave it to you?

Yes, measuring cups that I got from my Girl Scout leader at a bridal shower.

5. What’s the oldest thing in your medicine cabinet? (and maybe it’s time to toss out the expired stuff!)

Oil of Olay from about 5 years ago.

6. Was the place you currently live in occupied prior to you? Did they leave anything behind? What? If not, have you ever heard any stories about folk who lived there before you did and would you share one?

Lots of people have probably lived here before. It's 60 year old military housing. The only things left behind were some beer cans in the attic. We only discovered them when my daughter had to go up there to rescue some kittens.

7. Do you have any old IDs, business cards or other bits of old flotsam in your purse/wallet? What is the oldest thing there and why do you keep it?

Does my dresser drawer count? An Navy dependent ID card from when I was 10.

8. Do you have your yearbooks? When was the last time you looked at them? What is the thing you like most about your favorite yearbook? What’s the thing you like least about your least favorite yearbook? (I don’t know if this is a ‘global’ question – so forgive me if you are from somewhere that getting a yearbook is not a tradition)

High School yearbook 1973. I haven't looked at it in more years than I can remember. I only have my graduation year. What I like most is the sweetness of the inscriptions. All lies. :)

9. Do you have a(ny) old key(s)? Do you know what it/they’re for? Why did you keep it/them?

Old keys? Yep... a tiny jewelry box key. I think I still have the jewelry box somewhere.

10. 100 years from now, what would you wish someone had as a memento of you?

A memento of me? Something I have made, maybe a cross stitch piece or that Girl Scout Sash.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That photo is one of my favorites!