Friday, July 31, 2009

It was a dark and stormy night

Did you ever wonder where the phrase " It was a dark and stormy night" originated. Everytime I saw or heard of it, I did and then it floated right on through my butterfly brain....oh. alright. I'll stop.

Anyway, today I discovered this little gem explaining "It was a dark and stormy night " as well as the grand prize winning entry of The annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, otherwise known as the worst opening paragraph writing contest.

"Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin’ off Nantucket Sound from the nor’ east and the dogs are howlin’ for no earthly reason...."

for the rest, visit Ghostwoods.


I suggest leaving a trail of breadcrumbs for yourself.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Somewhere in my boxes of stuff I have a book called "It was a Dark and Stormy Night" that contains many of the entries (winners?) from the Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest. I love it!